10 Fellows to 2018 Silliman University National Writers Workshop Named
Silliman University together with the National Commission for the Culture and the Arts presents the 57th edition of the Silliman University National Writers Workshop on May 7 to 18 at the Rose Lamb Sobrepeña Writers Village in Camp Look-out, Valencia, Negros Oriental and the SU Campus.
Ten writers from all over the Philippines have been accepted as workshop fellows. They are the following:
Poetry in English
- Romalyn Ante of Lipa City, Batangas
- Catherine Candano of Quezon City, Metro Manila
Balak (Poetry in Binisaya)
- Wilfreda Cabusas of Talisay City, Cebu
- Herminigildo Sanchez of Catbalogan City, Samar
- Sigrid Gayangos of Zamboanga City, Zamboanga
- Reil Benedict Obinque of Kiblawan, Davao del Sur
- Jade Baylon of Digos City, Davao del Sur
- Rhounee Ron Kevin Frany of Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija
- Joel Donato Ching Jacob of Manila, Metro Manila
- Manuel Tinio of Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila
The panel of writers/critics for this year includes director-in-residence Jaime An Lim, resident writers Cesar Ruiz Aquino and Ian Rosales Casocot, as well as regular panelist Marjorie Evasco. They will be joined by guest panelists Linda Alburo, Dean Alfar, Mookie Katigbak-Lacuesta, Noel Tuazon and Anthony Tan.
For this year, the Workshop accepted manuscripts for Balak (poetry in Binisaya) with corresponding English translation, which will further enrich workshop discussion regarding the craft of poetry rendered in different languages and the cultural nuances that underpin such expression.
Founded in 1962 by S.E.A. Write Awardee Edilberto K. Tiempo and National Artist Edith L. Tiempo, the workshop is the oldest creative writing workshop of its kind in Asia. It was recently given the Tanging Parangal in the Gawad CCP Para sa Sining by the Cultural Center of the Philippines. The Silliman University National Writers Workshop continues the legacy of the Tiempos in giving value to literature and creative writing in the Philippines.
For more information about forthcoming events during the workshop, e-mail Workshop Coordinator Lady Flor Partosa at [email protected] or call the Department of English and Literature at (035) 422-6002 loc. 350. (Edilberto and Edith Tiempo Creative Writing Center)