Alumni Updates September 2014
Alumni Updates: Consolidated for the month of September 2014
- Silliman University New Zealand Alumni Chapter (SUNZA) is the newest chapter recently given recognition by the Silliman Alumni Association, Inc.
- A simple gathering at the residence of the Hows was held on September 25, 2014 to remember the late Francis F. How on his 9th death anniversary.
- The Silliman University Alumni Council of North America (SUACONA) released its invitation for the Tipon Silliman 2015 dubbed “Meet in San Antonio, Texas” scheduled on June 17-21, 2015.
- Northern Ireland Alumni Chapter President Mr. Noel Jereza recently visited Silliman University.
- Alumni chapters in Europe gear up for Euroflock, a convergence of alumni coming from all over Europe on October 3-5, 2014 in Berlin.
- Diva Putri Wulandari (first from left), an Indonesian and a senior student at the College of Nursing, was chosen as among the Three Most Outstanding International Students of the Philippines by the Philippine International Friendship and Understanding Association, Inc. on September 25 in Manila. The other awardees are Jeon Eun Jung, a Korean student from Assumption College, and Oluchi Cynthia Nworgu, a Nigerian student from Far Eastern University.
- Awesome Class of 1964, led by Dr. Leslie E. Bauzon and Dr. Perla Rizalina M. Tayko, recently donated P100, 000 pesos to the Trust Fund for Emergency Financial Assistance to Working Students in Silliman. Working students may avail of a loan from this fund for their personal or school needs. The fund was established last year from gifts and donations of friends of Dr. Ben and Gladys Malayang, on the occasion of Dr. Malayang’s 60th birthday.
- Outstanding Sillimanian Dr. Perla Rizalina M. Tayko received the 2014 Bagong Bayani Award in a special ceremony held at the Philippine International Convention Center last September 22, 2014. The Bagong Bayani Awards (BBA) is a national search for the country’s outstanding and exemplary Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW). The awards seeks to recognize and pay tribute to our OFWs for their significant efforts in fostering goodwill among peoples of the world, enhancing and promoting the image of the Filipino as a competent, responsible and dignified worker, and for greatly contributing to the socio-economic development of their communities and our country as a whole.
- Sillimanians In Metro Manila (SIMM) new alumni Board of Directors recently held their first meeting to set and map out their chapter’s vision, goals, strategies and programs for the next two years.
From (left to right) Jobe Buling-Viernes (Treasurer), James Manuel K. Raterta (VP), Danrex Joseph Tapdasan (Auditor), Maria Charito Laarni S. Indonto, Romeo D. Burlat, Conrada ‘Radi’ Veruasa-Aspotol, Edilberto ‘Ed’ I. Dames, Jr. (President) and Andrea T. Hernandez-Echavez (Secretary). The other directors not in photo: Augusto ‘Gus’ C. Villaluna, Edna Ferrer-Gonzalez and Melclaire S. Delfin (PRO).
- Silliman Alumni Dumaguete Chapter, in partnership with Dumaguete Business Park Inc. (DBPI), will hold a Flea Market for a Cause on October 25-26, 2014, from 7am-5pm. The venue will be at DBPI – Dgte. South Road, next to Robinsons Mall. Funds raised will help the Dumaguete alumni chapter’s activities and projects.
- Alumni shared his Silliman story through Facebook: “I am from Vigan, Ilocos Sur. I attended night school in Manila while working in a cigarette factory, chanced on a SU brochure (1963) with work study grant. Worked as Doltz Hall desk assistant (1964-67), janitor/messenger of the college of arts and sciences, and weekend gardener of the Reynolds couple. SU gave me a great opportunity for my college education…” Dr. Romeo P. Ariniego (Outstanding Sillimanian Awardee, Medicine 2010).
- IN MEMORIAM: Otillo R. Gorospe, Jr. (HS’52) on September 3, 2014; Leticia Grumia Carbilledo (BSE HE ’62) on September 3, 2014; Henry A. Ferrolino (BBA ’58) on September 9, 2014; Paul W. Deiner (HS ’69) on September 12, 2014; Gina Degamo-Estrella (AB Anthro ’85) on September 16, 2014; Nico Evangelista Valle (BSED English 4th year college student) on September 18, 2014; Elmer T. Zamora (BSCE ‘02) on September 24, 2014; German P. Saraña, Jr. (BSME ’68) on September 27, 2014.