Advisory: Digital Learning Program at High School Department Starts SY 16-17
Subject: Digital Learning Program at High School Dep’t. Takes Effect June 2016
Issue date: 23 May 2016
Issued by: Dr. Earl Jude Paul L. Cleope, Director, School of Basic Education
E-mail: [email protected]
Silliman University recognizes the importance of digital learning technologies in education. As demonstrated in top educational institutions across the globe, such technologies allow students to understand concepts more quickly and fully, to relate theory and application more proficiently, and to engage in learning more readily. It also improves and expands teaching techniques and strategies and facilitates the widespread sharing of knowledge.
As earlier announced, consistent with its prerogatives as an academic institution of higher learning, the University implements the Digital Learning Program at the High School Department effective June 2016.
For the past school year, the University, through the High School Department, and in consultation with the Parents Teachers Association, through its officers, has been working with digital education and technology specialists from the world’s leading technology company, Apple Inc., along with Vibal and JAMF Software, to establish this Digital Learning Program. The program seeks to develop digital literacy skills, improve learning and prepare students to succeed in college and careers in the 21st century.
Similar to proven and successful digital learning programs of top institutions in Metro Manila, in the United States and other countries, to provide Silliman students with a better learning experience, the Program utilizes the iOS operating system which is the world’s safest and most secure and stable mobile operating system. The Program covers six (6) subjects – English, Science, Mathematics, Filipino, Social Studies, MAPEH.
- Students may use their existing iPads with basic features compatible with the class management software, subject to following minimum hardware requirements: iPad mini, iPad Air or newer, with iOS 8.4.1 or later. Minimum Capacity: 16GB.
- Those who do not have iPads yet may secure an iPad at any accredited or authorized Apple reseller. The University is working with resellers in order to make available flexible payment terms. iStore Dumaguete, an authorized Apple education reseller, is one of them.
iOS Digital Books Subscription from Vibal & Casper Class Management Software Subscription from JAMF Software Installation
- Installation of both 2016 edition digital books for iOS subscription from Vibal and the necessary Casper class management software (CMS) subscription is done by iStore Dumaguete, the recognized local service provider of Apple, Vibal, and JAMF Software.
- A special education discount of P5,000 on the total cost of the digital books subscription and CMS subscription is given to students whose iPads were directly purchased from any authorized Apple reseller within or outside Dumaguete.
- iPads coming from gray market or non-Apple authorized channels will be accepted, the regular price of P6,000 for the digital books and CMS applies.