EARLY CHILDHOOD DEPARTMENT
The Silliman University Early Childhood School provides an environment where children four to six years old can develop their inherent potentials to the fullest. It offers a well-planned program which challenges them to extend their horizons through new learning but at the same time, safeguards their security.
A program for Early Childhood helps each child to develop and maintain optimum health; further his physical development; extend his understanding of the social world; enter into his scientific world; grow in understanding of spatial and quantitative relationships; expand his control of language; enjoy his literary and musical heritage; express himself aesthetically through various art media; establish satisfying relationships with children and adults; understand and enter into a relationship with God through religious activities.
Historically, the Silliman University School of Basic Education Elementary Department was opened primarily “to furnish superior instructions for children of the faculty and the local constituency.” The school continues to provide quality instructions to its clientele. It also serves as a laboratory for the College of Education.
As a school, it is committed to the total development of the child and the conservation of his environment. It continuously endeavors to actualize its vision by offering an enriched curriculum; providing a wholesome environment which is conducive to teaching and learning; supplementing its academic program with varied and rich co-curricular activities; providing adequate facilities to enhance teaching and learning; providing strong support services; establishing good relationship with top administration and other departments in the University and linkage with government and non-government organizations and the community.
The SUES was fully accredited in 1974 and reaccredited in 1977, 1984, 1990, 1995 and 2000 by the Elementary Division of the Philippine Association of Accredited Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU).
SILLIMAN UNIVERSITY HIGH SCHOOL
The Silliman University High School adopted the New Secondary Education Curriculum (NSEC) which is under the 1989 Secondary Development Program (SEDP). The legal bases of this New Secondary Education Curriculum are Article II, Section 13 and 17, and Article XIV, Section 1, of the 1987 Constitution. The philosophy and objectives of Silliman University as a Christian university are incorporated with the national goals. Educational aims, and the present objectives of the Philippine secondary education.
The Silliman University High School believes that our cultural and national heritage is communicated most effectively through one’s behavior; hence, the school teaches by precept and example a humane philosophy in all aspects of its endeavors. It accepts the challenge to provide training for leadership and a strong foundation in the fundamental processes in the sciences and humanities to prepare the student for college education and at the same time equip him with the skills for gainful employment. It emphasizes a profound respect for humanity in all its diversity with a concern for individual rights and responsibilities.
Silliman University started as an elementary school on August 28, 1901. Dr. and Mrs. David Hibbard taught its first class of fifteen boys reading, geography, arithmetic, and grammar. In 1924, Mrs. Mary Winterheimer, with the help of the Rodriguez sisters, Melitona and Estefa, organized classes in the primary grades. In the early 1930’s, a complete elementary school was put up.
It was in 1916 that the first set of high school diplomas were awarded. In 1918, the High School became a distinct academic unit of Silliman Institute. The High School had large enrollment figures during the period 1947-1952. By the end of the 1960’s, however, enrollment had decreased to a stable level of about 750 students each year.
Silliman University Early Childhood School started a laboratory of the former College of Theology and students taking psychology and nursing. It also served as training for teaching Kindergarten for female workers of the church. 1958 to 1959, Mrs. Lauby, a teacher, was able to secure funds for the first unit of the present main building.
It was then in 2001, that High School, Elementary School and Early Childhood School have been merged into what is a collectively known as the SCHOOL OF BASIC EDUCATION.