Ten Fellows to 2015 Silliman University National Writers Workshop Named
The 55th edition of the Silliman University National Writers Workshop starts May 9 to 27 at the Rose Lamb Sobrepeña Writers Village in Camp Look-out, Valencia, Negros Oriental.
Ten writers from all over the Philippines have been accepted as workshop fellows. They are:
- Catherine Regina Hanopol Borlaza of Lipa City (University of the Philippines-Diliman)
- RJ Ledesma of Bacolod City (University of St. La Salle)
- David Lao of Matina, Davao City (Ateneo de Davao University)
- Veronica A. Vega of Dumaguete City (Silliman University)
- Marianne Freya Nono of Parañaque City (University of Santo Tomas)
- Christian Ray Buendia of Cabuyao, Laguna (University of the Philippines-Los Baños)
- Arnel F. Murga of Iloilo City (University of the Philippines-Miag-ao)
- John Patrick Allanegui of Manila (Ateneo de Manila University)
- Christine Faith V. Gumalal of Cagayan de Oro City (Xavier University)
- Bernice Cabildo of Cagayan de Oro City (Xavier University)
Three alternates have also been chosen in case any of the regular fellows declines the invitation: Beatrice Adeline Tulagan of Quezon City (Kalayaan College) for poetry; Tanya P. Cruz of Quezon City (University of Santo Tomas) for fiction; and Nina Unlay of Quezon City (Ateneo de Manila University) for creative nonfiction. Jesulito Kuan of Cebu City (Silliman University) has also been invited to sit as special workshop mentee.
The panel of writers/critics for this year includes Director-in-Residence Ricardo de Ungria, Resident Writer Cesar Ruiz Aquino, and Regular Panelists Marjorie Evasco, Susan S. Lara, Gemino H. Abad, and Alfred Yuson. They will be joined by Guest Panelists Jose Peñaranda, Kimi Tuvera, Simeon Dumdum Jr., and Criselda Yabes, and International PanelistsSumana Roy from India and Prashani Rambukwella from Sri Lanka.
The workshop, which traditionally lasts for three weeks, is the oldest creative writing workshop of its kind in Asia. It was founded in 1962 by S.E.A. Write Awardee Edilberto K. Tiempo and National Artist Edith L. Tiempo, and was recently given the Tanging Parangal in the Gawad CCP Para sa Sining by the Cultural Center of the Philippines.
For more information about forthcoming events during the workshop, e-mail Workshop Coordinator Lady Flor Partosa at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Department of English and Literature at (035) 422-6002 loc. 520. (Edilberto and Edith Tiempo Creative Writing Center)