14 Short Films Screen, Vie for Awards in 2nd Silliman Film Open
Fourteen short films produced, directed and edited by Silliman students vied for different awards during the Silliman Film Open held late last month at the Claire Isabel McGill Luce Auditorium.
Featured were “Finals” by Ara Mina Amor, “White Rose” by Cheri Ansale, “Sally” by Kristine Ariken, “Tugis” by Leslie Batallones, “Tadtad” by Cindy Bonachita, “A State of Existence” by Lurlyn Carmona, “The House, The Dead, The Ugly” by Von Christian Colina, “Dakop” by Mac Florendo, “Releve” by Michelle Diana Osias, “Fifi and the Fairy” by Malka Shaver, “Primordial Witt” by Renz Torres, “Locked” by Mariana Varela, “Pier” by Prince Albert Villa, and “Kamera” by John Rey Villareal.
Reaping the most number of awards were “The House, The Dead, The Ugly” by Von Christian with five awards: Best Narrative Short Film, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design and Best Make-up Design; and “A State of Existence” by Lurlyn with four: Special Jury Award, Best Actress, Best Screenplay and Best Trailer.
The nine other awards went to:
- Best Actor in a Leading Role – Duwic Medalla in “Tadtad”
- Best Supporting Actress – Joy Labrador in “Tugis”
- Best Supporting Actor – Miguel Teves in “Locked”
- Best Editing – “Dakop” by Mac Florendo
- Best Production Design – “Primordial Witt” by Renz Torres
- Best Sound Editing – Stanley Alcala for “Locked”
- Best Musical Score – Mark Malony Teves for “Tugis”
- Best Original Song – “Break Through” by Randolf Sayon in “Releve”
- Best Poster – “Finals” by Ara Mina Amor
Comprising this year’s jury were Mr. Teddy O. Co, vice chairperson of the Committee on Cinema of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, Cebu-based writer and filmmaker Maria Victoria Beltran, businesswoman and arts patron Annabelle Lee-Adriano, and three from Silliman: Department of English and Literature Chairperson Prof. Warlito Caturay Jr., visual artist and teacher Mr. Don Flores, and Cultural Affairs Committee member Mr. Moses Joshua Atega.