ADVISORY NO. 1 on the 2019-nCoV concern
While Silliman University is confident in the efforts of the Department of Health and the Provincial and City governments in addressing the 2019-nCoV concern, out of caution and prudence, the University shall undertake the following preventive measures:
- Effective February 5, 2020, classes at the School of Basic Education (SBE) – preschool to senior high school – will be undertaken through an alternative learning scheme. Academic activities and assessment will continue at home, based on the learning plan that will be provided to the pupils. Should the situation improve, the University will issue an advisory whether to resume classes on February 10, 2020. Otherwise, the alternative learning scheme will continue until further notice.
- During the alternative learning scheme period, the teachers shall continue to observe duty hours to entertain queries from parents, conduct parent conferences, compute grades and prepare the necessary materials.
- Regular classes shall continue for the tertiary and graduate levels until further notice. However, students, faculty and staff are advised to observe the necessary precautionary measures as previously prescribed by the University in its January 23, 24 and 31 memos based on WHO and DOH guidelines.
- The scheduled Faculty and Staff Day and the University Honors Day are postponed to later dates to be announced.
- All extracurricular programs, including college week activities are cancelled. This covers all programs and activities in and out of campus for the month of February.
- The University’s participation in the Central Visayas Regional Athletics Association Meet this month is withdrawn. All teams are instructed to suspend all practices.
- Reiterating our previous memos, those with cold or flu-like symptoms are advised to immediately see their doctor or visit the University Clinic.
- Finally, observe proper hygiene, stay healthy, eat nutritious food, drink lots of water and monitor updates from WHO, DOH and other authorities.
For inquiries you may contact the University through our landline no. (035) 422-6002 loc. 230 or email us at [email protected]. Our landline number will be available between 8:00 A.M. to 12:00 noon and 2:00 P.M.-5:00 P.M.